Music and Musicians
Music is an important and integral part of Catholic worship, and the music at your wedding will remain in your memories of this special day for a lifetime. Careful selection of appropriate music and musicians will help ensure a joyous, spiritual wedding liturgy. Please adhere to the following guidelines when considering music for your wedding celebration, so that this element of the ceremony will be of the highest possible quality:
- Photocopied music will not be allowed, unless it is a “backup” copy and the legally purchased original is readily available.
- All music must be in keeping with the sacred, liturgical nature of the ceremony. A list of typical selections will be provided.
- Organ music must be selected from the standard repertoire of music written for the organ.
- Vocal texts must be Scriptural or Christ-centered.
- The Music Director must approve all selections at least ten days prior to the ceremony.
- No secular music, such as selections from movies, operas, or musicals, may be performed.
- All music will be performed live on un-amplified instruments appropriate to the liturgy. The Cathedral will provide an accomplished organist and cantor (song leader) to perform all necessary music for your wedding; the fees for these musicians are included in the wedding fee paid to the Cathedral Parish. The bride and groom are responsible for paying fees for additional services and musicians. These additional fees are payable to “Cathedral Music”, before the wedding rehearsal, according to the following schedule:
- Vocalist/instrumentalist: Cantors from the cathedral staff will lead all congregational music, including the Responsorial Psalm, Acclamation before the Gospel, and Eucharistic Acclamations; additional solo work will cost approximately $125. Non-staff musicians generally charge $175-$200, but the exact fee must be negotiated with each individual musician.
- Full Choir: The Cathedral-Pontifical Choir (minimum eight singers) can perform choral works during the Mass and lead congregational singing for $650.
- Extra planning meetings (more than two) with the Music Director will incur a $25 fee.
- Extra rehearsals(more than one) with non-staff musician(s) will incur a $25 fee.
- Wedding rehearsal attendance by the organist will incur a $25 fee.
- Late Changes: A $25 fee will be charged for each piece changed within ten days of the wedding.
- Program Design: The cathedral staff can design a complete, accurate program, including all congregational music, in your desired format and style, for a $60 fee. Printing generally costs an additional $125-$250, depending on the number of copies desired.